Boston, Massachusetts, to Vermont and back

It was 4.00pm on Saturday afternoon in April 2018 at Heathrow Terminal 5. Gill and Steve had to wait for me at security as my titanium steel femur sounded the alarm but it was not long before we were sampling the delights of the executive lounge since we were travelling Business Class! This was the start of eating too much for the next few hours ending when I finally refused ‘tea’ at what to me was 12.20 am but by Boston time was five hours earlier.

On landing we received the sad news from Becca that she had been unable to join the flight from Mexico to Boston to be with us. Then a second piece of bad news was that between us, Gill and I had managed to leave my iPad on the plane. Finally the third misfortune arose when we left the airport bus too soon on our way to pick up a hire car, but eventually leaving with a magnificent new white Mazda with fewer than 500 miles on the clock. By our 5.00pm but Boston’s midnight, we drove into Winthrop by the light of a brilliant full moon and stopped at Harrington House right beside the shore.

Maggie and Joe made us very welcome and immediately showed us how to work the coffee machine before taking us to our very comfortable rooms, mine pink, Gill and Steve’s blue, both overlooking the sea. The only trouble was that the easy chair in my room was too soft and I slipped out of it, needing to crawl to the stairs to get up on my feet. In the morning, we were introduced to the two dogs, 14 year old white poodle called Fiona and 6 year old Rosalita, a black and white rescue chihuahua that took an immediate liking for Steve. The house was full of desirables to take one’s eye, half a pig doorstop or a a life like pear.

After a magnificent breakfast at the hotel, we departed for Conway but dropped in at Walmart’s again for two peaked caps for me, one pink and one flowery and a blue table cloth before we were off through the White mountains to find the highest, Mount Washington at 6288 ft. No chance! The road for self drivers is closed until the middle of May and the snow coaches were not yet in operation. As we took the road to Conway, it was not only raining but covered in mist and where we could see Mount Washington it was still covered with snow. The Ellis river running beside the road was flowing fast and roughly through the rocks as it received the melting snow.

I watched TV with Steve’s tuition for Boston Red Sox just lose the game of baseball against Kansas City. Then there was the promise of watching a live game on Wednesday night, when the local team Sea Dogs were playing Trenton Thunder from New Jersey. I was given a large badge in memory of my first live baseball game in US and both Steve and I received a cuddle from the dog SLUGGER.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s